FAMILY FROM OUR WEDDING

Thursday, April 26, 2007

HAPPY THURSDAY and a RECIPE OR 2

ahhh Thursday.... almost Friday .. yay... so my day started.. it was rainy rainy rainy out... I pull out of the sub division.. and all of the sudden as I acelerate I hear THWACK THWACK THWACK coming from the back of my car.. so I am thinking FLAT TIRE.. I pull over get out.. and look at my tires.. under my car and can not see anything.. by then I am worried.. I call Steve and he says come home.. so I turn around and drive very slowly home.. He gets in the car.. the carTHANKFULLY makes the same sound.... LOOOOONG story short... when it rains where we live.. since there is still new construction going on... a lot of times things wash off the hillside.. and come down the road.. in a mud flood.. I went through that mud flood on my way out.. and apparently a small rodent or bug plastic glue trap adhered to my right back tire and flipped inside the tire.. it was a mess..but at least no wheel bearings or belts need to be repaired or replaced yay... that is how my day started.. At lunch I went to Target.. and got some carrots.. I love sweet baby carrots... some sushi.. and my latest discovery courtsey of my nutritionist... FIBER one BARS.. they are 140 calories and 9 grams of FIBER... and BOY both flavors are yummalishous... What else is going on for me.. nothing much... Still trying to decide on a wedding date.. and hopefully we will do that soon... Again I appreciate everyones response to my big email about motivation.. those responses were awesome.. I love learning what motivates people to eat healthy or exercise... VERY VERY GOOD advice.. more often than not .. I read.. JUST DO IT.. and PLAN PLAN PLAN... good advice... for better health...

RECIPES

ORIENTAL TOFU VEGGIE STIR

I made this last nite...

Put rice ( decide on amount by people u are serving.. ) BROWN OR WHITE on to boil
Chop up.., fresh regular carrots
chop up one onion ( VIDALIA)
Chop up one pepper.. (ORANGE OR RED OR YELLOW preferably)
Chop up a head of Brocoli florets
Rinse off a small container of Baby bella mushrooms sliced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic ( REAL OR JARRED NOT DRY)
use Light SOY SAUCE, or Ginger Sesame Teryaki or Stir fry sauce.. reduced sodium kind..
1 container of pre cooked TOFU ORIENTAL FLAVOR.. ( i found mine at WHOLE FOODS.. they have about 3 precooked varieties..was in section near dairy)

Take skillet pour one round.. ( take olive oil and outline pan bottom lightly) in bottom of pan
warm oil.. add veggies.. stir to distribute oil.. sprinkle a little garlic salt in... stir stir stir.. add a little of either LIGHT SOY sauce or any other Oriental sauce of your choosing. stir to distribute sauce...
CHOP up ToFU.. and add to Veggies.. mix well.. add a little more of favored sauce..

Serve over 1/2 cup of rice of your choosing.. GREAT DINNER well recieved...

Pasta with Marinara sauce and Grilled Veggies

Dietitian's tip: Try this recipe as an alternative to spaghetti and meatballs. With the homemade marinara sauce and chopped grilled vegetables, you cut the calories in half and reduce the fat by three-fourths.
SERVES 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
10 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 red peppers, sliced into chunks
1 yellow summer squash, sliced lengthwise
1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
1 sweet onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-wide rounds
8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti


Directions
To make the marinara sauce, in a heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, salt, garlic, chopped onions, basil, sugar, oregano and black pepper. Simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler (grill). Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
Brush the red peppers, squash, zucchini and sweet onion with the remaining olive oil. Place the vegetables on the grill rack or broiler pan. Grill or broil, turning as needed, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), about 10 to 12 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
Divide the pasta evenly among individual plates. Top with the marinara sauce and grilled vegetables. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving)
Calories
270
Monounsaturated fat
4 g
Protein
8 g
Cholesterol
0 mg
Carbohydrate
46 g
Sodium
380 mg
Total fat
6 g
Fiber
4 g
Saturated fat



WISH ME WELL WISH U WELL TOO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Honi! Southern Fried Fatty here. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving words of encouragement. I'm glad you recognized the title. I am sometimes afraid people won't catch on to stuff I post. I'll be back to visit often and I hope you do the same!