FAMILY FROM OUR WEDDING

Friday, December 7, 2007

ISRAEL BOUND and other Friday news..

I am so excitedly excited.. We are taking a trip to Israel in March.. this is going to be the COOLEST OF THE COOL.. the BEST OF THE BEST.. and uhmmmm no we are not riding the motorcyle there.. We are going with Steve's brothers .... I am going to start walking a lot more now.. so I can be prepared for all the walking we will be doing once we are there... I will take pictures galore you can bet on that....

Why is that when I google healthy blogs I simply bring up garbage for the most part.. nothing interesting.. or at least interesting to me??? Now if I type in weight loss blogs.. there are many... hmm still not a lot but more too choose from... its a fairly quiet Friday and thats fine by me.. We tried a new recipe for Whole Wheat apple pancakes last night... One word.. YIKES!!!!... this might have been better had we gone with the first idea... which was following a different recipe.. however.. we decided to be more health oriented and this was a total FLOP.. Never doing those again... We do a fabulous blueberry version that is really good.. but for some reason these apple ones.. just were low on the taste chart...
I saw something recently that lit my fire a bit.. its an old post on the Junkfood Science blog.. it talks about how it should be considered a crime to have obese children.."The intervention of social services in what was previously regarded as a private matter is likely to raise concerns about the emergence of the “fat police.” Some doctors even advocate taking legal action against parents for ill treating their children by feeding them so much that they develop health problems."
The post went on .. and it said there is only one word to describe this.. PREJUDICE... .Prejudice against those that are overweight and have children that are overweight too.. I don't thing that obese parents should lose their children who are obese .. I do think ... that the correct response is to educate people.. I am not saying obese people are not educated.. but maybe they do not see this as a problem.. or maybe they don't know how to change it or have the tools.. .. it would be a very sad world if children are removed from loving homes because of obesity....
I feel when it comes to families.. that healthy eating is a FAMILY ISSUE... even if just one family member is carrying the extra weight.. this is a family issue.. I think when you have the support of your family you stand a greater chance of long term success... Now I know a lot of you out there who have healthy kids and let them pretty much eat what they want.. have to deal with junk food in the house... well what if.. you slowly started replacing the junk food with faux junkfood.. lowfat microwavable popcorn.. or a better version of pretzels... or homemade healthier versions of cookies in the cookie jar... etc... to me.. if I were a mom it would make it easier on me not to have the junkie stuff in the house but provide alternatives.. maybe though thats just me..

I was perusing the google world and found an interesting site.. called SIZE WISE..
http://www.sizewise.com/ .. I like to find these fat acceptance or size acceptance sites.. I find them informative and interesting...

As I was perusing .. along... I found some new healthy recipe sites too:
http://www.medicinenet.com/recipes/article.htm

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/lf_health/

I always forget about this website and I LOVE IT : http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/

That's it for Friday..

Wish me well
Wish you well too
Have a wonderful weekend

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Israel?! How exciting!!

I'm jealous.

Twix said...

Wooohoo! On the upcoming trip! Sounds really exciting!! I bet a part of you wishes you could take your bike, :).

I am obese but my children are not. It's bad when I have to go into their pediatricians office and listen to the comments. Well you know Mrs. Twix since you are obese your children are at high risk, blah, blah, blah.... Um, ya I get it already. I think they should butt out. As for social intervention....um the more freedoms we give away the more they will take...it will never end. No junk food here! Just lots of fresh fruit to munch on.

Have a happy, HAPPY weekend!! :D

Ann(ie) said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Talk about the trip of a lifetime. How very cool!

~Laura said...

Isreal?!?!?! That sounds really exciting.

Big Pissy said...

Israel!!!!

That's so exciting! Can't wait to read and see your adventures. :)

Anonymous said...

You know what bugs me most about the childhood obesity crisis is? a lot of these kids get more than 2/3 of their nutrition in school. Epsecially title I kids, who are more prone to be overweight. In school everything is breaded or fried or with a side of potatoes and extra bread. There are very few healthy options. Breakfast is usually sweet cereal with milk and a side of some sort of sweet bread or cake. Lunches are things like chicken nuggets with french fries. My kids don't eat like that at home!

Neither of the twins have weight problems, although the eldest can lose about 5 lbs, and probably will once her thyroid meds kick in. But I can see how kids who eat what the school offers can easily be obese. And they're going to blame this on the PARENTS?

This is just another example of how sick our society is, and how parents make an easy target.

... on another note, your trip sounds SO COOL! do take a lot of photos! We want to see :)

Diana Swallow said...

YAY!! I'm so excited for you!! I think starting your extra walking now is a great way to get ready for all of the walking! So glad you get to go with a group of family too!

A Lighter Life... said...

A trip to Israel for you - how exciting :-) At least it gives you the impetus to get yourself as fit and as healthy as possible!

I bet you are counting down the days already!

Have a lovely week, Honi....

LL x