FAMILY FROM OUR WEDDING

Friday, April 10, 2009

Honi's Veggie Mac and Cheese

Last night I was bored.. very bored.. so I decided to make something...
I had had this idea brewing for sometime but decided to experiment a bit...
I bought the barella plus mac cooked as directed and set aside

I took the light Velveta cheese, 2 cups skim milk, 1 egg, salt and pepper and simmered stove top .
I used about 3/4ths of the 16 oz container of Velveta and then I added 2 % shredded cheese about a cup or so.. and let that simmer on a low heat,
Meanwhile I chopped up 1/2 a sweet onion, 1/2 a container of baby bella mushrooms, 2 medium zuchinis , 1 vine ripe tomato (removed seeds and pulp) sauted with a little olive oil stove top..
I sprayed a pyrex with olive oil spray and set aside
I preheated the oven to 350
I turned up the heat just a bit on the cheese sauce and stirred consistantly until completely smooth and a good smooth taste... after everything was cooked I poured the drained mac into a big bowl added the cheese sauce and veggies.. combined well.. and then poured all into the pyrex dish .. I sprinkled a handful of 2% shredded sharp cheddar on the top of the mac mixture and baked for about 1 hour a@ 350... Delicous...
I will be ammending the recipe over time, less cheese more veggies, I might even move t0 whole wheat mac although for this recipe I tend to find the flavor profile to be too heavy.. I prefer the Barilla plus pastas...
I am starting to get my will back finally.. I dont know where it will go but I do know that if I continue on the destructive path I am on right now.. for whatever excuse I am using at the second.. well. I know all I am doing is hurting myself.. I am not solving anything.. .
So I am beginning to seize the day..
Until next time..

4 comments:

Twix said...

Sounds similar to my football mac. I have no clue why it's called this except it was my mom's recipe arginal. And it has polish keilbasa in it and it's loaded with carrots, broccoli, and califlower. Mmmmm...the power of cheese. LOL!!! :D I'm making a ham and augratin potatoe casserole for Easter sup. You've made me think of throwing some more veggies in! Have a blessed Easter!

Ann(ie) said...

OH my. I hope you have some leftover b/c I'm coming over!!! :)
Mateo made a BEAUTIFUL cheesy quiche tonight. I love that man and his culinary talents!!

Herbalife Las Vegas said...

I love Velveta cheese, the light I am sure it better, the regular has a lot of calories.
I have been on a bad streak with weight lately too. Hang in there, keep your chin up.

Emmett said...

Sounds like a great recipe, I will have to try it.